Thursday, September 20, 2018

Where is the Food?

This has been a very busy and crazy week/weekend. We saw the passing of Hurricane Florence, which gave the kids three days home from school. That made for a long, long, weekend, but we did make it through. The backyard is a mess right now and will need a bit of attention when it finally dries out back there. Also around the events of the hurricane I began a new Bible Study at church on the Lord's Prayer. For this eight week study we are meeting on Wednesday night. Thankfully, it is off to a great start. So last night on the way home I stoped by the grocery store and what items did I find from my very short shopping list? Which included: milk, bananas, sting cheese, and orange juice. Just the cheese and juice. No milk. Hardly any fruit in the store. The place was empty.



I was truly shocked by this. Most produce, meats, fresh food in general, where nonexistent. When I got hame and told Joanne what had happened, it made me think, our food supply is on a very short sting. Here we have a one storm and the supply has dried up. What if something really big came up, how long would the store be without most things? Now I am not one to go out and buy a bunch of stuff to have on hand, just in case the big one hits. But, we do have several freezers we keep stocked, but you can only do so much. And a family with five kids needs lots of milk!

All this caused me to reflect upon the verse from Psalm 146:3 "Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no help." Our trust must be with God. No matter if its a literal storm or the many other storms that arise in our lives daily. It is the Lord Jesus who gives us comfort and satisfaction that all will be well. This past weeks events also brings to mind the scene in Matthew's Gospel when the disciples are fighting for their lives and they lookup to see, "Jesus walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear. But immediately he spoke to them, saying, “Take heart, it is I; have no fear.” (14:26-27) This passage always send shivers down my spine. What powerful words the Lord of glory gives us, "It is I; have no fear." That is our life in communion with the living God. Fearing no storms or shortages, but always trusting in the bountiful goodness of the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment