Thursday, September 27, 2018

Our Trip to Spain Part #1 - The Taxi Ride



My wife and I just returned from a trip to Spain. Yes, we left behind the five kids with awesome and loving grandparents. Then made the journey over the great pond, just 8 short hours in the air. It was a fantastic trip. We landed in Madrid, then went to a beautiful wedding in Toledo. I am one who likes to watch and pay attention to what is going on around me and often later reflect on the different things that I observe. I have narrowed down my observations on this trip to around five blog post that I would like to share with everyone. By doing this I can bring together food, love, relationships, travel, and God. While at the same time not rushing to tell you the stories that made the biggest impression upon myself.

The first event I would like to relate to everyone is the taxi ride from the airport in Madrid, to our hotel that we would be staying in when we returned from the wedding. Now I do a lot of driving back home and am not one who scares easily by close traffic, speeding, or wild driving. (Heights is my great fear. Anyone who knows me, knows that when I go over two steps up a ladder, I am petrified.) But this car ride was different. When we first got in the cab all was well. Then very quickly the speeding and very close following of the car or bus in front of us started. It was literally, bumper to bumper at full speed. All I could do was to hold to the handle on my door for dear life. Joanne tells me, “I am trying not to look.” Well, I had to look. And everything that I saw was freighting or in one line from a favorite movie of mine, “Clue”, “All to shocking!” (If you don’t know it, no worries, if you do, you know just what I am talking about.) To make things ever better, while all this excitement is going on, the driver is cursing other drivers in Spanish. He got very upset and vocal with one bus driver. I could not tell what the driver has done wrong to receive such a tongue lashing, then again, he is the expert. I tried not the laugh to hard, but I had to do something to lighten to mood a bit and stop my heart from racing.

About halfway through the overly long trip he almost, and I mean almost! HIT a scooter who was trying to merge lanes. This in the next layer that we have to add to the story, the countless scooters and their drivers, who a buzzing around the already very close traffic. It must have been a few inches, but the driver did make it through. I could not imagine driving a car in this mess, let alone a two wheeled scooter. Not for me! Not for me! Let me tell you, I have never been so ready to get out of a car before. I was so happy to put my flat feet upon the hard ground again.

Looking back upon the chaotic and wild scene makes me think about many of us do as the driver did, we go too fast through the many obstacles and distractions in life. We do not allow enough time for the people around us, or even God himself to react to what we are doing. At these times it is usually us, not others, who are causing the greatest problems that confront us. We have to learn to slow down and respond to what is before us with patience and kindness, not anger and cursing. Think how many complications or issues we confront daily would likely disappear if we took that step. Or for many people, it’s a huge leap. A leap that calls for self-control of mind and body. This brings to mind a passage from the Book of Exodus, when Israel is about to cross the Red Sea, Moses tells the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will work for you today; for the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be still.” (14:13-14) We too must at times stand still and let God act. He is the one with the plan, not us. The good God of creation is always ready to work in us, we just have to give him the time to do so. Let us all slow down, get out of our own crazy taxi rides, and listen to what God is telling us.

No comments:

Post a Comment