Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Transitions of Modern Life


I turned 40 years old this year and received an email yesterday that caused me to reflect upon the many transitions that I have gone through over the years. I am sure that many of you have also had these moments when you look back at your life and take note of the different events that you recognize later where major times of transition; those certain events that causes our moving from one stage of life to another.

The email was a message from the Pastor of the local Roman Catholic Church here in Rocky Mount where my family and I live. The church also has the great ministry of a school attached to it. This is where my two oldest daughters, Elizabeth and Rebekah, attend Second Grade and Kindergarten. The email announced the retirement of a long-time teacher, who is now the Principal of the school. Yes after 37 years long of service she is going to take a much-needed rest from the stresses of the daily grind. The reason that I was so struck by this is because she was also my Kindergarten teacher. For my entire life, she has been a key part and fixture of the school. Today she has become its face and I would say even its heart beat. It will be a major transition in my eyes and mind not to drive up to school on those mornings when I drop the kids off and her not to be greeting the kids as that start their day. It will be difficult to visit someone else in the principal’s office, but as we all know moments like this happen in our lives. Still, this does not make it any easier. Since our kids have been attending school there, my relationship has also grown with my one-time teacher. Through working on fundraising activities together or just talking about the many goings on that surround the life of a school, we have become friends. Because of her presence and many others, the school has the feel and workings of a family. Its full of life and the spirit of love. When you walk through the halls it seems more like home than just an ordinary school. In other words, the Spirit of Jesus is alive and is at work bringing forth fruit for the Kingdom of God. Our Principal is a key component of this. She realizes and puts into action that a school is not like a business, but like a garden. A place where the hearts and minds of young people grow up and blossom. She acts not because of the need to beat test score benchmarks, or to check off all the required boxes, but purely out of her deep love for children. God desires people to work through, those chosen ones who open themselves up to the Gospel, to be coworkers in Jesus’ message, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God.” (Luke 18:16) This is the kind of person that the school is losing. One who knows the great importance of kids knowing Jesus and the bountiful love that only he can give. This is indeed a great moment of transition.

Now I know that a school, a family, is much bigger than just one person, but that does not remove my present sadness over the announcement. I am confident that trough much prayer and hard work the school will be fine. Because it’s the Spirit of the living God who builds the house. God is truly the one who transform a house into a home. As St Paul confidently tells us, “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.” (1 Corinthians 15:58) It is because of the Lord that we are able to make it through these tough moments of transition. No matter what type of event that we might be going through, God is always there. He is at our side guiding us in the ups and downs that face us throughout our lives. We are able to put complete trust in the living God because he does not change. There is no transition moments or events with God, but only the present assurance and steadfast love of knowing Jesus Christ our Lord. As Hebrews says, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (13:8) This is the only formula that will help us along the path of life in this world. A world that at times is so full chaos and confusion, that we seem not know where to turn, but because of the faithful God who revealed himself is Jesus, we have placed before us the proper direction and goals in our lives.  

Looking back at the other transition moments in my life, even though at the time I did not see it fully, God was a bright lamp and guide for my feet. A Spirit of both comfort and joy. He was there when my father died, and I was only 13 years old. He was there when I decided to work in the family business at the age of 19. He was there at the age of 22 when I returned to Church after a too long departure. He was there at the age of 24 when I found a friend who lead me into Eastern Church and the beauty of her Liturgy and spiritualty. He was there when I met my future loving wife at the same church. He was there at the age of 31 when she and I were crowned with glory and honor in marriage. He has been there when each of our five children have been born. He was there when at the age of 35 when through divine grace I was ordained a Deacon. He will be there during this transition also, leading and guiding all of those involved. Giving the same consolation and gladness that only he can pour out upon us. As our great God and Lord, himself told us, “And know, I am with you always, even to the close of the age.” (Matt 28:20)

As all of us go through certain transition moments in our lives. Sometimes with tears, other times with joy. Always looking towards Jesus and asking him to give us the needed grace to move forward with his plans and not our own. It is up to us to make our own transition moments God inspired and for God’s glory alone. It is with this great confidence in God’s purposes that I know he will continue to bless the school that I love so much. He will give us someone worthy to stand and act in the large loving shoes that must be filled.  I also know that he will continue to bless the teacher, even though I gave her a lot of trouble 35 years ago, that I love and who has shown me how to love so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment