Monday, February 12, 2018

Psalm 3 - Arise and Serve the Lord

Psalm 3

     O LORD, how many are my foes!
      Many are rising against me;
            2 many are saying of me,
      there is no help for him in God.
                         
    3 But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
      my glory, and the lifter of my head.
            4 I cry aloud to the Lord,
      and he answers me from his holy mountain.

    5 I lie down and sleep;
      I wake again, for the LORD sustains me.
             6 I am not afraid of ten thousands of people
      who have set themselves against me round about.

    7 Arise, O LORD!
      Deliver me, O my God!
            For you strike all my enemies on the cheek,
      you break the teeth of the wicked.
            8 Deliverance belongs to the LORD;
      your blessing be upon your people!


David originally wrote and prayed this Palm when he has in battle, being attacked from all sides. When we pray it today the Psalm takes on a much different meaning in our lives. The foes that we face are usually not military enemies but those many sins that surround us daily. Those temptations that lurk around to attack us at just the right time. As we are told in Genesis, “sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is contrary to you, but you must rule over it.” (4:7) This is what the Psalm is calling us to do, to rule over and master sin. Not to be afraid if the many attacks that it makes upon us day and night. The awesome reason that we can do this, is because we stand on the other side of the Lord’s great “arise”, his lifting up at the Resurrection to redeem all people. It is there that we have received our “deliverance and blessing.” The deliverance from sin and it mastery over us and the blessing of life in God’s new age, where he is only Lord.


            Think about the power of this transformation in the world. God is not far off, he has brought his holy mountain to us in the man Jesus Christ. We do not have to go off looking and searching for him. He is right here, as St Paul says, “The word is near you, on your lips and in your heart (that is, the word of faith which we preach); because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:8-9) The Lord has brought his glory to us, now we have to get on with the call to share that same glory with those in our lives, those in our world. That is the main reason the Lord has come to us on the first place, to set us free and send us forth to be the people he created us to be. As Jesus tells us himself in John’s Gospel, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” (John 20:21) Through our hearts and lips we make Jesus and his Resurrection known to all people. We have nothing to fear, the Lord has “risen”, now we too must arise and go to work in the Kingdom of the Living God!

No comments:

Post a Comment