Monday, November 19, 2018

Dorian Gray and The Picture of Our Soul



As I reflected upon this Sunday’s readings for the Divine Liturgy (Ephesians 5:9-19; Luke 12:13-21), Oscar Wilde’s great novel “The Picture of Dorian Gray” kept coming into my mind. There are many parallels that come through when we look at the two stories side by side. This morning I would like to pull out a few points for us to think about and pray through in the week ahead.

In the novel, an artist name Basil paints this beautiful picture of a young, handsome, man named Dorian Gray. About the time that he finishes the painting a friend of the artist, Lord Henry, shows up and is intrigued not only by the painting but the beauty of Dorian himself. Lord Henry tells him that he needs to get everything out of life that he can get. Yes Dorian, Lord Henry says “Live life to its fullest, all for the self and nothing else.” He basically corrupts Dorian’s mind by convincing him that life is about his good looks and being completely self-indulgent at all times. Very similar to the man’s thinking in today’s parable who says, “What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ So, he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.” (12:17-18) Yes like so many in the world today life is all about me, myself, and I. That’s it and that’s all!

Dorian is then saddened and upset with Basil because he has painted such a wonderful portrait of him and he will never look that good again. He will begin from that very moment to grow old and tired, but the picture will stay the same. Then comes the twist of the novel, Dorian exchanges his body and soul with the picture. The painting will age and show the marks of time, while Dorian will stay young and gorgeous. So, after a bit time, Dorian does something nasty to someone and he looks at the portrait and sees that the face has changed. It has a little different smile and a bit of a wicked smirk. Dorian does not like what he sees, and he hides the portrait away from himself and others. He then begins a corrupt and ungodly life like Saint Paul describes in Galatians, full of “immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like.” (5:19-21)

One day after living a long ageless life engulfed by sin, Dorian sees the portrait of himself. He sees the wickedness of his own soul. Instead of a beautiful young man looking back at him, like he sees daily in the mirror, he gazes upon a decerped old man. One that is heartless and full of evil and death. Dorian then so horrified by what he encounters, takes a knife and cuts the portrait. Destroying it and himself at the same time. He could not bear to see in vivid detail the person he had or had not become.

This story should teach us all a lesson. What if we could look upon a picture of our soul, would we like what we saw? Could we bear to see what might be before us? Would it be twisted and corrupt like that the picture of Dorian Gray, or would it be shining brightly like the image that God made us like? This is one challenge of being a Christian, looking at the life that we are living and asking, “God am I living life fully for myself and my desires, or am I living for you God and those around me. If not, Lord where do I need to improve? What do I need to change in my life?” This is a process that must begin with small steps. Go to confession, get your relationship with God back on track. Restore the image that God put into your heart at baptism. Are there problems at home in your marriage? Fix them next. Heal the relationships between husband and wife. Then heal any bad relationships between father or mother, with son or daughter. Ask the Lord himself, “Jesus send your divine grace and healing into my heart, allow me to be a vessel of healing and restoration.” Our lives must reflect what Saint Paul says today, “filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart.” (5:18-19) This means we must be in tune with God and one another. Our lives must be like a symphony with all the parts working together, not for our will and its desires, but in action for the will of God alone.

In this coming week, do not be afraid, ask the great question, “God am I in tune with you?” Think about the portrait of your soul. Would you like what was looking back at you? If not the get to work on fixing the problems. Make a plan of action and put that plan into operation. Let the true image of God shine through you, “For the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true and try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:9-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment