Thursday, August 16, 2018

A Pair of Surprises

For the last two Sundays the family and I have done something unusual after church, we have gone out to lunch. Normally we either head home or go over to Joanne's parents house. But these two weeks we flipped tradition and went the extra mile by eating out. On both of these occasions something unexpected happened. The shocking part for me is that it involves someone making a nice comment about us as a family. Now if you have ever dined out with five kids, ages 8 or below, you will surely understand why this was so unexpected.

The first event happened when we stoped in at Bruegger's Bagels. After all of the chaos of trying to order, pay for the food, getting everyone seated and feed. As I was cleaning off the table/floor, Joanne was taking some of the kids to the bathroom, oh does she hate public bathrooms, and yes we all know why. A young man who worked at the restaurant came up to me and said, "I think its great that you all have a large family." Looking rather shocked, I tell him, "thank you." He then tells me that he is, "also from a large family, Irish Catholic." I can only reply, "very good, thank you again." In a world that is so full of stares and comments when people have, "too many kids", it warms my heart to encounter someone who stands on the other side of the fence and understands what family life and kids are all about. I am not sure if this man is a practicing Christian or not, but he is living out the Lord's command to show forth love. As Jesus says in John's Gospel, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (13:24-35) Well some may say, "oh he was just being nice", but in todays time, "just being nice" is half the battle. Yes, it is our showing forth of love, that reveals us to be disciples of Jesus Christ. It is through are small daily actions that the "image of God", the very "image" we were created in, shines forth. It may come as a shock to many people that one way we project God's image into the world is by being "nice".

    The second surprise came the following Sunday. After church we made our way to the Cheese Cake Factory. It was the perfect day for us to go because church was early and we had some shopping to do at the mall. Yes, I would love for restaurants and other business to be closed on Sunday, but this is the time that we live in. We try not to shop or dine out much on the Lord's Day, nevertheless the places are going to be open. I know this is "falling short" in our call as Christians to be contrary to the "world", then again, we have to pick our battles and the places we draw the line. Plus, it gives me one more thing to add to my long list of things to work on. Anyway, the host seated us, we order, then receive our beverages and some bread (this is a pregame must with kids), pretty quickly. Then the wheels come off. For some reason it takes longer then expected to get our food. Then the questions from the kids start, "When is our food coming???, Where is our food??? Is it almost ready???". It becomes one of those occasions when we parents are supposed to have a magical crystal ball to see and know all things, oh the power kids think their parents have. (Think if we really did?) After this our 14 month old gets rowdy and loud. This is the moment I look around at the people seated at the other tables near us and know what they are thinking, "why did I get seated here?". I would love to answer back, "you know,  there are times that kids do make noise, and hunger/waiting does seem to bring out this behavior." Around this ruckus time, a party of two is seated right beside us. I tell Joanne that back when I was a single man or as Billy Joel would say, "when I wore a younger man's clothes." I would have asked for a different table. No way would they have sat me next to a group of noisy kids. This comes as a bit of a shock for Joanne. Leading me to think, Oh, God how you do transform the heart of man. This is partly what David meant when he wrote, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10) Yes, as the Christ says, "Ask and you shall receive". (Matt 7:8) More about that process in a latter post. During this time I also observe the people around us. There is an older couple acoss from us. Then a younger couple right in front of our table. The lady here is obsessed with her phone. The entire time they where at the table she could not keep her hands of it. (Putting on full display the massive new crises and problem facing humanity.) From here we soon get our food and things do improve from before. This is always a good thing. After eating, Joanne takes the younger kids out with her as I pay the bill. While waiting for the server to return with the change, the man from the older couple comes to the table and tells me, "you have a beautiful family." He then hands me a $25 gift card for the restaurant. I am not sure what my face said, but, again as with the last surprise like this, all I can say is, "thank you". It really is a special moment when you meet a truly nice person. I know nothing about this man, but I do know that he has a kind warm heart. I also know that he is not afraid, as some Christians sadly are, to let his heart shine. Like the kids song, "let my little light shine."

    I look at the actions of these two people and see God at work in them. Through small but powerful actions of love. It puts into operation and gives life to our Lord's words, "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matt 5:14-16) Am I looking too much into these events? Some people would say, "yes, indeed you are!" This is not how I work. I like to observe every action and word of not only myself, but also those around me, and think about how these effect other people. As St. Paul teaches us, "take every thought captive to obey Christ". (2 Cor 10:5) I only pray that the actions I show forth to others, moves others as much as these two "surprises" have moved me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment