Thursday, July 26, 2018

"Papa, My Tummy Hurts"

Like most parents, my wife and I get the kids in bed first, then we have sometime before our bed time to catch our breath, read, and rest for a bit. But, what always seems to happen during this time? We hear those familiar footsteps. Then those familiar words, “Papa, my tummy hurts.” Or, “Mama, my back hurts.” What is it about bedtime that makes children’s ailments come to the surface so clearly? The entire day they have been fine, but all of the sudden, their world is collapsing all around them and the pain is unbearable.  

Elizabeth (8) our oldest is the worst for this. Almost every night, around 10-20 minutes after everyone has gone to bed, something is wrong with her. Fever, itchy, or bits, something is never right! One part of this is just delaying her bedtime and that she is a worrier at times. But, another side is that kids seem to think that we as parents can fix any problem or sickness at a moment’s notice. Not matter what it is, or how long the issue has been going on. No, I have said, “we do not have a magic wand to cure you with.” Then again, lotion, the wonder drug, fixes many of these, so called “hurts”. It becomes comical at times and by the third trip to the bedside, very frustrating. That is usually when I begin to just say or shout, “GO TO BED!”

Reflecting upon these nighttime events and actions, I think there is a connection here between this situation and how many people approach God. We come to Jesus and approach him as if he too has a “magic wand”. We think, yes Lord I know that you can fix any and every problem that “seems” to be confronting me. What is the problem with this? How does this tie into the Biblical picture of Faith?

Here is an illustration. John gets his latest credit card bill in the mail and it is far more than he is able to pay. He goes to Jesus and tells him, “I need help with this bill. Please make it go away. I do not care how, just make it go away. Yes, Jesus use that magic that you have and help me out.” Now, Jesus does indeed have the power to handle John’s issue. But, John’s problem is not the credit card bill, it’s his out of control spending. The short-sighted John cannot see this, but our Lord does see this and will handle this request of John is his own way and time. As so often our desires of Jesus and his desires of us are much different. 

This comes out when during the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus teaches us, “Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!” (Matthew 7:7-12) Jesus will give us the “good things” when we ask. We just have to keep in mind what the “good things” are. For John, is it more money? I think not. The “good things” for him would be a change in lifestyle. A change from his desire for more and more stuff to make him happy, to a desire for full and rich life in communion with Jesus Christ. The answer to that prayer will look far different than a paid credit card bill and truly last much longer. This is what faith requires us to do, trust God and believe that the way he is answering our prayers is the best for us and our relationship with him and others. Its saying, “Lord, I am sure you know what you are doing, I may not know myself, but you have my full trust and cooperation.”

As we approach the Father in prayer, let us keep in mind our Lord’s words, “My Father, if it be possible, let this chalice pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” (Matthew 26:39) 

No comments:

Post a Comment